Teganjaz Books Presents...Author, Tracy L. Darity

Bringing you the best in contemporary fiction, one book at a time

A View From Tracy's Point

Forum Home > Book Reviews > When the Night Whispers by Savanna Welles (

Tracy L Darity
Site Owner

When the Night WhispersWhen the Night Whispers by Savanna Welles

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When the Night Whispers by Savanna Welles (aka Valerie Wilson Wesley) is the authors foray into paranormal fiction. Jocelyn and her daughter Mikela move into the home of Jocelyn’s deceased mother. Soon after, she meets and falls deeply into lust with her new sexy and irresistible neighbor, Asa. The Markham women have a history of bad luck when it comes to men so it is no surprise when Asa turns out not to be Prince Charming. Through in mysterious writings and a friend plaqued with the "boon","and you have the makings for a good read.

Fans of Wilson Wesley will easily recognize her writing style, but make no mistake; When the Night Whispers is not a Tamara Hale mystery. The book started out a bit confusing as I tried to follow the history of Caprice, Nana France, and Constance, Jocelyn’s great-grandmother, grandmother, and mother. But once the book started moving, the flow was fast paced and very enticing.

Wilson Wesley does a decent job in her switch to a new and difficult genre. There were areas that lacked development and challenged the reader to overlook miscues and a need for substance. I would have liked to see a little more story in some areas, like when Jocelyn and Asa first became involved, how he convinced her to do the crazy things she did, and more of a struggle between her lust for Asa and love of Mikela. At times the attention to imagery overshadowed the plot.

The story itself was gripping and kept me wondering what would happen next. Wilson Wesley does a good job in her crossover to paranormal, but mystery may be her bread and butter. I was set to give When the Night Whispers 3.75 stars, but had to take away for the rushed, unimaginative ending.

I would recommend When the Night Whispers to fans of Tananarive Due, and those into angels and demons.

Peace & Blessings,

Tracy L. Darity
www.tracyldarity.com

2K13 Letters & Themes Challenge: Choose Your Own Adventure

View all my reviews

June 21, 2013 at 11:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.