Teganjaz Books Presents...Author, Tracy L. Darity

Bringing you the best in contemporary fiction, one book at a time

A View From Tracy's Point

Forum Home > Book Reviews > An Accidental Affair by Eric Jerome Dickey

Tracy L Darity
Site Owner

An Accidental AffairAn Accidental Affair by Eric Jerome Dickey

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When a man loves a woman there is nothing, and I mean nothing, he won’t do in the name of that love. In An Accidental Affair by Eric Jerome Dickey, the main character, James Thicke proves that not even murder is off limits. Thicke, a screen writer is married to actress Regina Baptisite. While shooting a sex scene in a movie, Baptiste and her co-star Johnny Bergs take their acting abilities a few steps too far and the sordid sex tape is sent to Thicke via his iPhone. His reaction sets off a bizarre chain of events.

I must confess I love reading Dickey’s books even though I know it’s the same story just with different characters. It’s a formula that seems to work for him, well some of the times. His quick wit and choppy sentences to some is annoying, but it keeps the story flowing and helps me get into the characters heads and lives. An Accidental Affair is supposed to be about a lover scorned but in true Dickey fashion the victim turns to sex to heal what ails him, which is a contradiction considering his pain stems from his wife’s infidelity. At times the sex was redundant and out of place. Where he lost me with the sex he made up for it with the extreme emotional roller-coaster that becomes Thicke’s life. As long as he was in hiding from Baptiste, the media and Berg’s gangsta family, he was seemingly okay being caught-up in the crazy lives of the “ordinary” people he befriends. But as soon as Baptiste uncovers his hiding place his emotions get the best of him and all mayhem breaks loose.

The only true downside to the story was the minimal descriptions of the characters. The reader was given nationalities and then left to their own imagination in most cases. I am someone who wants to know if the character is tall, short, black, white, straight hair, long hair, nappy hair, etc.

As for the ending, I thought it was perfect. In crazy love the crazies should end up with each other and spare the rest of the world the drama. Now if it were me I would have………… Okay, no spoilers here.

My rating for An Accidental Affair is 4 Stars.

Peace & Blessings,

Tracy
www.TracyLDarity.com

View all my reviews

March 27, 2013 at 11:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.