Bringing you the best in contemporary fiction, one book at a time

A View From Tracy's Point

Forum Home > Book Reviews > The Family Business by Carl Weber

Tracy L Darity
Site Owner

The Family BusinessThe Family Business by Carl Weber

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

2.5 Stars

The Family Business by Carl Weber with Eric Pete, where do I start… First, if you have read my previous reviews you know I have a Love/Hate relationship with Weber’s books. I think I will toss this one into the “hate” column. Not because it was an awful book, but as a matter of principle. The Family Business came highly recommended to me by a friend who said it was a really great read. I’m sure to those who love Street/Urban Lit; it is all that and then some. For me, I just felt duped, like someone played a really bad joke on me.

The Family Business is billed as a story about a successful family business, Duncan Motor Company. The story starts out with the family patriarch, LC Duncan, calling a family meeting to discuss transitioning control of the business to one of his sons. From this point on the story takes a bad turn and never really corrects itself. There is scene after scene of pointless sex that seemed to only serve as page-filler, the murder of a councilman’s son takes place early in the book and just fades away and seemed to have no relevance to the story, and none of the characters are believable or that interesting. Midway through the book, there is a dramatic shift in both the plot and penmanship. I believe Weber wrote the first half, and Pete the second. Whatever the case, the writer’s flipped the script and the readers land smack dab in your typical wannabe, but too far-fetched to believe black mafia family saga. Sigh.

In typical Weber fashion, the story is fast-paced and contains drama on every page. Because there is so much focus on “bringing the drama” the story often reads as if it is being made-up as the writers went along, leaving this reader shaking her head. Although the real family business explains some of the questionable writing in the first half of the book; it does not save it. There are just too many missing details to give the story credibility, which is the problem I have with most books of this nature.

I’m not sure what the goal was or who thought this was a good idea, but in my view it was not a good look. My rating for The Family Business is 2.5 stars.

Peace & Blessings,

Tracy L. Darity
www.TracyLDarity.com

View all my reviews

January 27, 2013 at 11:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.