Teganjaz Books Presents...Author, Tracy L. Darity

Bringing you the best in contemporary fiction, one book at a time

A View From Tracy's Point

Forum Home > Book Reviews > The Choir Director by Carl Weber

Tracy L Darity
Site Owner

The Choir DirectorThe Choir Director by Carl Weber
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Choir Director by Carl Weber is set at First Jamaica Ministries with a reoccurring cast from previous books by Weber, such as The First Lady (my review – 5 stars). The Choir Director contains the usual over exaggerated stereotypes that books using the black church as a backdrop seem to require. If it was written in the Ten Commandments, then it is open game.

I had the privilege of sitting in on a book club discussion of the Choir Director and I mentioned to one of the members that the book sounded interesting. Without hesitation she gave me her copy, which probably should have been a sign that it wasn’t going to be as enjoyable as the discussion. The Choir Director was a quick read because the drama was so over the top. I kept reading because I wanted to see what else could possibly go down.

From a review standpoint, my biggest issue with The Choir Director is the title. The book has very little to do with the choir director. The story opens with scandal running through the pews, as the wife of the current choir director reveals his dirty little secrets. The church quickly falls apart—let’s be serious—a black church is only as strong as its choir…right? With failing attendance and tithes at an all time low, Bishop T.K. Wilson sets out to find a new director. With dreams of national competitions, Aaron Mackie leaves his current church (and not a second too soon) to take Wilson up on his offer. From this point, the story of the choir director takes a seat on the last pew.

So what is the book about? Well mainly a lot of lying, thieving, blackmailing, backbiting, fornicating, jealousy, cheating, and just downright sinning. Weber obviously has a strong following of readers who take delight in his works. My downfall when reading some of his books is that I often end up feeling taken for granted, and wondering if Weber really expects me to believe some of this stuff can actually happen. I then find myself tsk’ing and rolling my eyes at the absurdity of the characters actions. Yes it is fiction, but there still needs to be some believability.

If you are looking for a fast read that is overflowing with drama, you will probably like The Choir Director. It wasn’t my favorite book by Carl Weber, but it won't be my last.

My final rating is 3 stars

Peace and Blessings,

Tracy
www.TracyLDarity.com

Buy Now

View all my reviews

August 5, 2012 at 4:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.