Teganjaz Books Presents...Author, Tracy L. Darity

Bringing you the best in contemporary fiction, one book at a time

A View From Tracy's Point

Forum Home > Book Reviews > The Manual by Sherryle Kiser Jackson

Tracy L Darity
Site Owner

The ManualThe Manual by Sherryle Kiser Jackson
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

The Manual by Sherryle Kiser Jackson is a true-to-life account of two teens, Andre and Deidre. The two are an example of opposites attract. Deidre is a goody-two-shoe and Andre a rebellious youngster who takes delight in spray painting graffiti across the city and break-dancing. Not heeding her parents warnings Deidre becomes a part of the ever growing statistics of teen moms.

Fast-forward and we find Deidre and Andre reuniting after a hiatus that left Deidre raising their son, DeAndre, alone. DeAndre is thirteen and as the old folks say, smelling himself. Deidre is at her wits end and very guarded when it comes to giving Andre a second chance at being a father. Unbeknownst to Deidre, there is a deeper secret behind Andre’s sudden departure from their lives.

Kiser Jackson has woven a very believable tale in The Manual. The story of Andre and Deidre is the story of many teens who have found themselves dealing with very adult situations before their time. Kiser Jackson uses Christian based beliefs to guide Deidre, not only in the raising of her son, but also in deciding whether or not to put her differences with Andre aside for the betterment of their child. There was a good balance between the storyline and the message being delivered without it becoming overwhelmingly preachy as some Christian based novels can be.

The character development is on point and fits in the time frame and location of the story, which at times had me reminiscing. The Manual is about more than the struggles of teen pregnancy. It also deals with trust, forgiveness, and selflessness. It is rightfully named, as it is a guide to how we must sometimes put our own desires aside to reach a common goal. And if we let our guard down, we may find that we've had the right person all along, it was just the timing that was wrong.

The Manual was an enjoyable story and I look forward to reading more from Sherryle Kiser Jackson.

My rating is 3.5 stars.  BUY NOW

Much Love,

Tracy

www.TracyLDarity.com

View all my reviews

November 11, 2011 at 11:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.