Teganjaz Books Presents...Author, Tracy L. Darity

Bringing you the best in contemporary fiction, one book at a time

A View From Tracy's Point

Forum Home > The Journey > Woman2Woman Book Club Celebrates the Local Author

Tracy L Darity
Site Owner

This past Saturday night I joined the panel of authors who helped the Woman2Woman Book Club of Volusia County celebrate their 6th Anniversary. (click her to view photos) Woman2Woman takes part in community involvement by providing book scholarships for graduating seniors and are active in their local churches and civic organizations. They are a group of women who share the love of reading various genres of African American literature. They have had the opportunity to meet many authors over the years and connect with other book clubs, whose members were in attendance at this event.

I was honored by the invitation that was extended to me by Davita Bonner, a member of Woman2Woman whom I had the opportunity to meet while vending at the 2010 Zora Neale Hurston Festival in Eatonville, FL. So often, authors are told by potential buyers that they are a member of a book club and will tell their club about the book. It is a wonderful feeling when the call actually comes, giving you the opportunity to present your work to their members.

My participation in the 6th anniversary celebration came at a great time. As you all know I write in this on-line journal after every event. However, on June 19th I participated in an event that was so uneventful, and disheartening, I didn’t waste my time or energy writing about it. Therefore, to be in the company of such positive people as these book club members and their guests, was not only uplifting but therapeutic, also.

Meeting group president, Dr. Primrose Cameron-Hall, was like reconnecting with an old friend. Her spirit was warm and inviting and by the end of the night I felt I had known her a lifetime. The members in attendance along with their invited guests were inviting and made for an exciting fun-filled evening. What more can I say, other than it was a great time for every one, from the food to the book discussions.

I have long believed that book clubs have a great deal of power and influence in the career of writers. We need their love and support and encouragement to make it in this business. Having a club recognize your work and willingness to present you to their community is a blessing. Getting out and doing events such as this one, also gave me the opportunity to meet three other colleagues. Also on the panel were Dwayne L. Taylor, author of “Forced to Defend.” Dwayne is also a State Representative for the State of Florida. Karsceal Turner, is a Poet and Journalist who presented his first work, which was literally hot off the press, as he picked up his first copies Friday evening. You can learn more about Karsceal, pronounced Kar-shell, by visiting www.suga-productionz.com. Closing out the program was Atlanta resident and Florida native, Carla Dupont-Huger, who presented her three titles, “Cum Laude,” “Legalities of Love,” and “Broken.” You can check-out Carla’s work by visiting www.BlueCafeBooks.com.

If you are a book member know that authors, especially independent ones, need your support. Even if we can’t be the book of the month selection, consider hosting Author Meet and Greets. These events allow the author to come in and introduce themselves and their work to your group. It is also a great opportunity to bring exposure to your group and share your passion for reading with friends and family.

Thanks again, Dr. Cameron-Hall, Davita Bonner and the remaining members of Women2Woman Book Club. For more information on the book club, you can contact her at [email protected].

Until the next time,

Much Love,

Tracy

Tracy L. Darity, is the author of the award-winning novel “He Loves Me He Loves Me Not!” and her second release, “Love…Like Snow In Florida On A Hot Summer Day.” She is also writes a column “Tracy’s Point” for the West Orlando News.

June 29, 2010 at 1:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.